Van Insurance: The Most Frequently Asked Questions

December 22nd, 2015
Van Insurance: The Most Frequently Asked Questions

Read the most frequently asked questions about insurance policies on vans; see the answers, compare quotes and find the best deal to suit you.

Is van insurance necessary?

Yes. You are legally required to possess valid van insurance. In most cases possession of a van will be an important part of your business or self-employment. Getting the correct policy, most suited to your individual needs is vital. Read more about the support you can obtain in our beginners’ guide to van insurance.

How do I know which type of cover is best for me?

There are 3 main types of van insurance cover: comprehensive, third party fire and theft or third party only; you can decide between a commercial or private policy with any of these levels of cover. There is another policy called telematics policies which is beginning to gain popularity and appear more widely in the market.

How do I tell the difference between private and commercial van use?

Commercial van insurance, sometimes referred to as business van insurance, allows you to use your van for your trade or profession; this may mean for delivery of materials or for carrying tools and equipment. When you take out private van insurance you can only use your van for social reasons such as seeing friends or family.

What are the different areas of use?

  • Social or non-business use
  • Transportation of materials or tools
  • Transporting hired goods in return for a fee
  • Haulage or charging for carriage of goods.

What factors contribute towards the cost of premiums?

A number of factors which contribute towards your policy price are the value of your vehicle, its speed and performance and security systems. If you wish you can choose to have a voluntary excess on top of any compulsory excess, similar to car insurance, and this might lower your premium.

How would any vehicle modifications affect my insurance?

It’s important to inform your insurance company of any modifications to your vehicle as this could affect your premium; if you withhold such information, you may find your policy invalidated.

Are you aware…?

  • Your no claims bonus or NCD will only be applicable for a single van

Do I insure my pick-up with car insurance?

A vehicle known as a pick-up will need van insurance. You will need to disclose if your pick-up is for private or commercial use.

How do I know if I need car or van insurance?

It is wise to check your V5 log book to find the answer to this or if you need further clarification, speak directly to your insurer. You can get further help from our guide: what to look out for.

Will my no claims bonus (NCB) apply to a second van?

Your no claims bonus will only be applicable for a single van; it cannot be applied to an additional van or another vehicle. However, your NCB can be transferred to another van, in the same way you can transfer it from car to car.

Some insurance companies offer discounted premiums or may permit a reflection of your NCB on a second van. It is wise to check with individual insurers and ask about any incentives.

Compare Van Insurance Quotes Today!!!

Buy & Save up to £492*

Get Quotes Now Retrieve Quote
4000+ reviews