Read the most frequently asked questions about home phones; see the answers, compare quotes and find the best deal to suit you.
There are many different home phone packages available and they all depend on your personal choice and need. Some things to think about are:
- Weekend and evening call package
- Home phone and broadband bundle
- Anytime calling plan
- Light-user package
You can find out more in our beginners’ guide to home phone line rental.
Do I have to change my number?
No, when you switch suppliers, you can retain your existing phone number.
Will I be without service for long if I switch?
There will be no interruption to your phone or broadband service. Switching is efficient.
How does rental for my home telephone landline line work?
For a small monthly charge, you can rent a landline or cable landline from a supplier. You may find the supplier has put line rental charges into a package that also include other services, such as broadband and digital TV.
What are bundles?
Bundles are offered when a supplier offers a package which includes more than one service. This might be broadband, home phone and digital TV for which a standard monthly fee is asked. This could work out cheaper than paying for each service individually.
Is there a home phone supplier that is recommended?
The choice may depend on your location and what you are looking to gain from a home phone package. The following will give you an idea:
- Calling rates
- Monthly package cost
- Line rental charge
- Terms and conditions of the policy
Should I go for the deal with the lowest cost?
It’s always best to look for the package most appropriate for your needs. Here are some factors to think about:
- Are most of your calls to mobiles or international numbers?
- Are calls mainly to landlines?
- What time of day do you make most of your telephone calls?
- Is there a free call allowance, what does it include?
- What add-ons are available as extras and what is the charge for these?
- Do you want to bundle your telephone calls and line rental with other services as one complete package?
- Is an excellent level of customer service of importance to you?